Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday!  I am hoping now that the chaos of the holidays has settled down I will get back to blogging regularly about our classroom.  It wasn't that they students did not have fantastic learning and thinking going on, I just wasn't taking the time to share it! 

Today we worked on an interesting problem and one that really helped my first graders learn to persevere in their problem solving.  I presented the question to them of "When was the last time all four digits in the year were different?"  They discussed how to go about solving that problem and fairly quickly came up with the idea of making a list.  Several mentioned that it would be important not to miss any years so they needed to stay in order.  Here are some pictures of their thinking!



We had to do a lot of talking about how to write the years 2000-2009.  Once they saw the pattern they caught on quickly.  Then, the discussion of what years came before 2000.  They thought that must be in ancient times, so I circled the birth years of my children so they could have some sort of perspective.  I can't imagine what they would think of the year I was born in!  It was a great activity to get them thinking about Math again and a great dinner conversation piece at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment